KCC attend Wicklow 200 for the second year

Published by admin on

Some must have thought last years punishing climbs and distance wasn’t enough as they returned along with some new victims to compete (even though it’s not a race) in the W200 for 2016. We also had several friends from other clubs tag along with the KCC Black & Orange brigade.

On Saturday evening, after the long journey down, we all gathered for a meal and a few “light refreshments” and of course a bit of craic.

An early Sunday start saw Lady Lee turn her hotel room into the KCC breakfast buffet, there is a saying did you bring the kitchen sink, well Jane brought the microwave LOL. Which was greatly appreciated by all.

It was a very wet morning and we all reluctantly stepped out into it and decided to drive to the start – no point getting wet before we had to.

After the Chairman caused a lengthy delay at sign on, we got away slightly later than planned with everyone agreeing on completing the shorter 100k distance. Riding in formation with everybody in full colours we rode out. However, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, because as we reached the turning point the weather had changed for the better and the majority decided to turn right for the 200k.

Riding on it wasn’t long before we were climbing up into the mist of the Wicklow gap. Unfortunately the mist had spoiled the beautiful views, but nevertheless we continued on, only stopping to take on some much needed water. Thankfully the first food stop wasn’t too far away, were the rocky roads were a firm favourite.

As the miles rolled on, the sun began to shine and as we enjoyed the different scenery our thoughts turned to the next climb – unless of course your name was Andy McCullough. Travelling through Co. Carlow and Hacketstown then climbing through Knockananna, it wasn’t to long before we were at the next long climb of Slieve Maan and with no time for recovery on the way down we were straight into another shorter climb up Glenmalure, then an easy 10k to the second food stop of the day.

Refreshed, we travelled South, which took us to the last real climb of the day. After that the journey home took us through a number of small villages and onto the final ‘cruise’ home to Greystones and after 124 miles with 8385ft of climbing, a welcome bowl of soup or two was waiting, along with more rocky roads.

After collecting our medals and certificates, we all loaded up and headed home.

A thoroughly enjoyable and well organised/marshalled event. If any of our members are thinking about doing a Sportive, this is definitely a must to tick off your bucket list.

Thanks to all those who supported us, came with us, made it a very enjoyable weekend and most of all Jane for organising, accommodation, dinner & breakfast.

Finally – Well Done to Daddy Lee on completing the W100 at the age of 70.

w12 w1 w2 w3 w4 w5 w6 w7 w8 w9 w10 w11

Categories: Uncategorized